|Notes for Rev. Joseph HULL|
|Page 322 & 35726|
Rev. Joseph Hull was a towering independent religious leader who was neither Pilgrim nor Puritan. His brother, Richard, is also our ancestor. Rev. Hull was a minister, colonist and (in later years) became the founder of what is known as the Mariner-Quaker branch of the Hull family in America. Joseph was educated at St. Mary's Hall, Oxford, England, and received his B.A. degree upon graduation on 14 Nov 1614. For the next five years, he studied theology and served as a teacher and curate under his elder brother, William Hull, vicar of Colyton in Devonshire.
On 14 April 1621, having been ordained a clergyman of the Church of England, he Rev. Joseph was duly instituted as rector of Northleigh, diocese of Exeter. He labored there eleven years, and, finding himself out of accord with the ecclesiastical authority over him (there are records to show this), he voluntarily resigned. He moved his family to Crewkerne, and after gathering a company of 106 souls, set sail on 20 March 1635 from Weymouth harbor for the shores of New England.
The shipping list of names was lost for 235 years. It contained the names, occupations and ages of this company of adventurers, which became known in New England history as "Hull's Colony."
1635: May. Rev. Joseph Hull and company of 106 persons reached New England, and in July were allowed to "sit down at Wessaguscus," now Weymouth, Massachusetts.
1636 or 1637: He moved to Nantasket, then a part of Hingham, was twice elected Deputy to Central Court.
1639: Preached his farwell sermon at Weymouth in May. Settled at Barnstable, on land granted to him, and founded the town in June. Thanksgiving service held there in his house in November. Was one of the first two Deputies to the General Court elected from Barnstable and took his seat in December.
1640: His name appears on the Barnstable list of "Men able to bear Arms." On 14 April he invested "Bro. Moe into office of Teacher."
1641: Moved to Yarmouth. Was excommunicated for braking communion with Barnstable Church and joining himself with a company at Yarmouth to be their pastor, contrary to the advice and council of the Church of Barstable. Preached also to a congregation at York several times during the year. A "Church-Chapel was also erected by the inhabitants of the Isles of Shoals on Hog Island for a congregation of which the records say, Rev. Joseph Hull was the minister.
1642: 7 March. It was ordered at a sessino of the General Court "that a warrant shall be directed to the Constable of Yarmouth to apprehend Mr. Joseph Hull (if he do either exercise his ministry amongst them or administer the Seals), to bring him before the next magistrate, to find sufficient sureties for his appearance at the next General Court, to answer his doings (being an excommunicant)."
1643: The Barnstable records state that Rev. Joseph Hull acknowledged his sin and was again received. "Our Sister Hull renewed her covenant, renouncing her joining at Yarmouth and confessed her evil in so doing, with sorrow." Before the end of the year he moved with his family to Yorke, Maine.
1644: Nantasket was made a town and named "Hull," in the honor of Rev. Joseph Hull.
1652: He returned to England and was given the living at St. Burien in Cornwall, where he remained about ten years.
1662: He came again to New England and settled at Oyster River whre he had considerable trouble with the Quakers.
1665: 19 November. Joseph Hull died intestate at Isles of Shoals, leaving an estate valued at 52 pounds, 5 shillings and 5 pence -- 10 pounds of which was put down for books, and 20 pounds as due him from the Isle of Shoals for his ministry.
In 1863 Mr. Oliver Hull published a "Book of the Hull's," but as the shipping list mentioned above had not as yet come to light, he was unable to trace his ancestors back of Tristram Hull, who it is now known, was none other than the second son of the Rev. Joseph Hull. Soon after the original shipping list was copied and published in America, Col. Robert B. Hull, U.S.A. retired and living in New York City, prepared a sketch of the life and times of his ancestor, the Rev. Joseph Hull. This sketch lay in manuscript form for many years. Col. Hull died in 1891, and seven years later Mr. James W. Hull had printed for private distribution a small edition of this exhaustive and carefully prepared sketch, which makes a booklet of 32 pages.
It is stated in the Narragansett Historical Register, Vol. I, page 145, states that the first wife of Rev. Joseph Hull was named Joanna Coffin. THIS STATEMENT IS INCORRECT.
The Hull Family in America was compiled in 1912 by Col. Weygant and a group of individuals who formed the first Hull Family in America in 1905. These researchers compiled data received from relatives, records and family genealogies. This HFA contained three main divisions: descendants of George Hull, descendants of Joseph Hull and descendants of Richard Hull.
Years later, another researcher, David D. Boatman, took Weygant's compilation of information on Rev.Joseph Hull and continued to fill in the blanks and add new generations of descendants.
|Notes for Agnes (Spouse 1)|
|Last Modified 1 Sep 2002||Created 18 Sep 2002|